- Clomipramine hydrochloride
Anafranil contains the active ingredient Clomipramine hydrochloride that belongs to a group of medicines called tricyclic antidepressants. Clomiprane acts on neurotransmitters in the brain that are responsible for transmission of messages between nerve cells. By inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin and norepinephrine, Clomipramine increases the amount of these transmitters in synaptic gap resulting in reliving depression symptoms.
Anafranil is indicated in:
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Depressive illness.
Contraindications and Cautions:
Anafranil should not be used if any of the following conditions apply to you:
- Known individual intolerance to Clomipramine hydrochloride and other TCA
- Patients who have recently experienced a heart attack
- Atrioventricular blockage(heart block)
- Abnormal heart rhythm(arrhythmia)
- Low blood potassium levels(hypokalaemia).
- Liver failure
- Closed angle glaucoma.
- Children under 18 years of age
- Difficulty urination
- During treatment with monoamine oxidase inhibitor antidepressant (MAOI)
Also you should let your health care provider know if you experience any of these conditions:
- Bipolar disorders
- Severe anxiety
- Heart diseases
- Kidney diseases, including kidney failure
- Bladder diseases
- Drinking too much alcoholic beverages
- Anafranil may increase the risk of suicide thoughts
- Anafranil may cause low white blood cells counts and ,thus, may increase the risk of infections
- Clomiprane may cause sexual problems in men.
Anafranil may cause drowsiness. It is not recommend to drive or operate any machinery while taking Anafranil.
There are possible side-effects associated with this medicine that can affect individuals in different ways. If a side effect is stated here, that does not necessarily mean the fact that all people using Anafranil will experience it or any other.
- CNS: drowsiness, dry mouth, sweating, headache, dizziness, confusion, anxiety, hot flushes, tinnitus, convulsions, insomnia, tremors
- Cardiovascular system: hypotension, irregular heart rhythm.
- Skin allergic reactions: rash, hives
- Other: weight gain, sexual problems
The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the drug's manufacturer. For more information about any other possible risks associated with Anafranil, please read the information provided with Anafranil or consult your doctor or pharmacist.
It is important to tell your doctor or pharmacist what medicines you are already taking, including those bought without a prescription and herbal medicines, before you start treatment with Anafranil. Similarly, check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any new medication while taking this one, to ensure that the combination is safe.
Anafranil should not be used in conjunction with:
- MAO inhibitors
- Antidepressants(SSR and SNR)
- Antihistamine drugs
- Sleeping drugs
- Opioid painkillers
- Anticholinergic agents
- Muscle relaxants
- Antisickness medications
- Birth control pills
- Antiviral agents and antibiotics
- Proton pump inhibitors
- Calcium channel blockers
DO NOT SHARE Anafranil with others. DO NOT USE THIS MEDICINE for other health conditions. KEEP THIS PRODUCT, as well as syringes and needles, if needed during treatment, out of the reach of children. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials.